CERAMEXT LOGO Green Building
Ceramics Created From 100% Waste

About Ceramext™

Ceramext has developed a unique patented process to efficiently produce high quality newly patented ceramic compositions made from numerous waste materials. Pilot plants using this technology have produced several thousand square feet of high quality, high strength, and impermeable tile.

"Process for Hot-Forging Synthetic Ceramic" is a process patent issued on August 11, 2015 (US Pat 9,102,569) and assigned to Ceramext LLC. It has successfully developed pilot plants to produce high quality ceramic tile with newly patented ceramic compositions from numerous waste materials. This method comprises heating a green ceramic material to a plastically deformable state to a temperature sufficient to initiate partial melting, transferring the heated green material to a press, pressing the plastically deformable green material in a die under pressure (or transferring the heated green material over a cavity, and punching the plastic deformable green material to punch an opening in the material and form a punched-out tile) and cooling the tile. The ceramic remains plastically deformable when reheated to the initial forming temperature.

"Synthetic Hybrid Rock Composition, Method, and Article Formed by the Method," a composition patent issued July 10, 2012 (US Pat 8,216,955) and assigned to Ceramext LLC, has a broad range and claims an entirely new large class of materials (with no restrictions as to the contained elements) with an independent claim of:

A composition comprising clasts fused together by a glass phase, wherein the glass phase is solid and directly bonds to the clasts, wherein the glass phase comprises a crystallite, wherein at least a portion of the composition has plasticity such that the composition is plastically deformable in a certain temperature range.

The Ceramext™ technology includes US Patent Nos.: 7,704,907, 8,216, 955, and 8,901,023 titled "Synthesized Hybrid Rock Composition, Method, and Article Formed by the Method"; US Pat. No. 6,547,550 "Apparatus for Hot Vacuum Extrusion of Ceramics", and US Pat. No. 9,102,569, "Process for Hot-Forging Synthetic Ceramic." Ceramext holds related patents in Canada, Mexico, South Africa, China, Australia, and India.

Having developed its hot-forging methods Ceramex™ technology can transform even low-cost waste materials into advanced impermeable high strength patented ceramic compositions. Some new ceramic compositions are derived from such waste materials as mine tailings, quarry fines, biomass ash, incinerator ash, and coal fly ash. This technology can produce high quality ceramic products suitable for marketing at competitive prices. Waste materials can be recycled using this technology to produce high quality floor, wall and roof tiles, building cladding, bricks, pavers, and other ceramic products.

Commercial ceramics can be manufactured with this technology from about 90% of the rocks within the earth's crust, while the other 10% can be blended as well. Ceramic products made with this technology can contain up to 100% recycled content (for example, with no binders added) and provide an opportunity for highly sustainable manufacturing in the ceramics industry. Every year, in the U.S. alone, hundreds of millions of tons of usable waste are disposed of in landfills. The U.S. has consumed about 3 billion square feet of tile per year, of which about 80% is imported. Several thousand square feet of high quality ceramic tile have been produced successfully in pilot plants using Ceramext™ technology and installed in commercial and residential buildings with superior results.